Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Deeper into the forest...



I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago, and, when I became a teenager, my family relocated to Pennsylvania, about an hour outside of Pittsburgh. Both locations were far enough away from the city that, pre-driver's license, the allure and excitement of urban excursions were largely unattainable. Sure, there were plenty of chaperoned shopping trips filled with embarrassing pleas to stop by the record store for "just 10 minutes", and after I gained the freedom of petrol powered mobility, I would disappear to the depths of Oakland, (the area around Pitt University, the Carnegie-Melon Museum, collector's 12 Inch, Decade, The "O", and Avalon, the first vintage clothing store I had ever been in), for weeks at a time. I can still hear my mother's fearfully strained voice over the phone, "Are you okay? When were you planning on coming home?"

But before all those stolen moments of urban euphoria, which were sponsored by my adopted older sister and spiritual guide, Angella Ferry, (what ever happened to you, Ang?), there was only one place for a maladjusted teen to wander off and find solace, (& beer & pot & acid & fumbling attempts at sex & the obligatory abuse of fireworks and power-tools), the WOODS!

The shelter and shield of massive evergreens. The infinitely interesting insect life. The occasional abandoned and forgotten old cemetery. Cornfields and creepy sheds and rotting animals. Bonfires and vomit and condoms filled to the breaking point with young reckless lust.

Circle rocks the creepy vibe on Forest. This album gets me every time and makes me think that maybe I should drop liquid just one more time. If anyone has any Circle records they would like to share, I'll meet you underneath that old dead oak tree with a worthwhile trade.

Pharaoh Overlord is connected to Circle in some way or another, I don't recall at the moment. Horrible name for the only psychedelic folk space metal band I know of. These cats could play the same riff for an hour and have you begging for more. I will gladly upload their entire discography if there is enough interest.

http://rapidshare.de/files/16161872/Forest.zip.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/16173050/I.zip.html

6 Comments:

Blogger AG said...

original rarity on the map, spotlight-a-flashin', radar radar

how did this happen? a true experience, my generation knows not.


big bang

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

more please

7:52 PM  
Blogger zhao said...

yeah this is very good. gentle and insistant motorik psych. as close to the best pieces by Can as anyone has ever gotten (still not as transcendent as Future Days mind you).

their new one is more on the prog-metal tip... kind of a bummer.

5:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, if possible, more would be great!

10:15 PM  
Anonymous naos said...

Hi! I found this site yesterday and really like it. Thanks for the Circle album. Unfortunately I don't have more, but I can provide you with a link to one Elektroverde album, their "jazzy" alterego. It's really good, so if you don't have it just write me here, ok? Also mr.A has Pharaoh Overlord #4 on Wine, Women and Song. Keep up the nice blog (not only for the music)! Bye

1:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes,more please

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home