Friday, July 28, 2006

Some of my best friends are Japanese (Boredom 2)...



Without a doubt, Japan is where it's at. Music, culture, fashion, robots, Miike, and little girl's underwear from vending machines. I mean, what more could one ask for?

This past Thursday was a big day from the far east for me, as Kidrobot's Dunny series 3 was released. If you don't know what the hell I'm talking about, Dunnys are 3 inch tall vinyl rabbit thingys created by a Japanese toy store owner, (who is one rich motherfucker now), that bring almost as much joy to my shriveled and blackened heart as music does, and the new batch is really something to behold. About 20 different artists and designers contributed their time and creative juices to the cause, and I was very pleased to obtain all but two in the box of twenty that I decided I could not live without. To ice the silly plastic toy cake, the fates smiled down on me when I opened the last box, (half the fun is they are all "blind" packaged, so you don't know which one you have until you open it), to reveal the highly coveted 1/100 ABE LINCOLN JUNIOR, which may be one of the most tasteless toys ever created. Lil' Abe has a bloody bullet hole smack between his eyes, and an exit wound that would make Gaspar Noe flinch.

So, not only can one get a nifty little art piece for about six bones, they are also a brilliant way to discover new artists. Jaime Hayon and Joe Ledbetter are some of my new faves, as well as some more familiar luminaries like Friends With You, (who's GENIUS Black Foot AKA Captain Bingo modular hand painted wood figure is one of my prized possessions), Blaine Fontana, and Alex Pardee, who does the most disturbing things possible with bunny rabbits.

Check these cats out, I promise your eyes'll be popping and you can sound totally down at the next dinner party you attend with all your newly learned hipster art speak.

Now, back to Japan...

I was inclined a while back to do a swell Jap-a-psych post, but Dirk over at Cities on Flame has not only done a bang up job of spreading the rising sun of love, he's actually been schooling me on some of the older stuff. Tip of the hat to him and head over for a good face melting.

So my next bright idea, being a big fan of all things Boris, was to drop sludgey science all over the joint with a Boris tribute, but NO!!! The newbie blog Cage Dream just posted almost everything our beloved trio has released. And by everything, I'm talking Pink, Feedbacker, Flood, Mabuta No Ura OST, Amplifier Worship, Heavy Rocks, Akuma No Uta, Dronevil Final Part I & II, The Thing which Salomon Overlooked I, II & III, PLUS Black, Implication Flooding with Keiji Haino, the three Merzbow colabs; Sun Baked Snow Cave, 04092001 & Megatone, and the split with Choukoku No Niwa. And again with the icing, Obacht! dropped Archive Vol.1: Live 96-98, Archive Vol.2: Drumless Shows, & Archive Vol.3: Two Long Songs in my comments. The password for the archive files is darkstalker666@666wicked666.co.nr, and they're connected, so you need to grab them all before it's Christmas morning, dig?

I have been awash in the drone ever since.

What can I possibly do to add to such an amazing act of cultural enrichment? How 'bout some import only Boredoms?

Check it...

From Eye's solo side I give you Rebore 0 and a live DJ set from The Metro, Kyoto, Japan 3/25/01, a surprisingly mellow affair that gets played at least once a month around my house. Very essential.

Next up, four volumes from the genre frying Super Roots series, Super Roots 1, Super Roots 5, Super Roots 6 and, Super Roots 7. These plates help bridge the gap between the spaz core "Acid Police" days and the more Earth mother "Vision Creation New Sun" tip.

Wow 2 was almost a precursor to the whole Super Roots onslaught, one can almost imagine the groop sitting in the studio and attempting to record a "pop" album, then at the last minute, opting for a complete whiplash of Beefheartian mind fuck. This one tops my charts, as well.

Finally, right before the band morphed into their current incarnation, "Voordoms", (the V representing the stylus of a record player and the two O's or infinity symbol symbolizing Eye's DJ rig, they recorded Seadrum/House of Sun, the "Seadrum" half reportedly underwater. Wacky kids.

Well, dear readers, don't completely destroy your hearing, as my promised avant/free jazz mix is well in the works, and I'm considering a Ghost mega-post to round out the Japanese madness.

Oh yeah, the Boredoms stuff is on Megaupload, I can't stand the Rapidshare hour wait shit anymore. Click away...

10 Comments:

Anonymous Obacht! said...

Strange things happen. One year ago I didn't listen to ANY japanese band, and now i'm searching for this stuff all the time on ebay, finding all these frenzy cds and even records in my postbox. Even saw ACID MOTHERS TEMPLE in Berlin this year - they blew my head of with ther IAO chant.

This post is essential to all searching for new inspiration - you'll definitely find some in here (...as well on that whole cool blog) and miss something if you don't try. Thanks for your hard work and careful presentation!

P.S.: Try out AMT from UNIVERSE BRUIT: http://tinyurl.com/mxhy5

4:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amazing blog. amazing amazing amazing. your taste and range is nearly unparallelafied.

5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the Eye DJ set is just Stockhausen's 'Stimmung' pitched up on LP. Still groovy though.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! Your Blog is Crazy Amazing!!!

You are probably familiar with Goddiepal, but anyway he is a friend of mine and i thought you might like some of his things:

http://www.brainwashed.com/vvm/micro/parl/audio/index.htm

and his best album:

http://www.nordicatexpo2005.com/object.php?obj=3c92711

Thanks so much again! Escho

Oh you said something about Rich at the Social Regestry...do you anything about the new Gang Gang Dance Album?

11:36 AM  
Blogger mayohumbert said...

Nothing about the new GGD...
Personally, not a fan. I caught them a few years back and they had a decent live thing going, but on wax, they just don't do it for me.
If you're drooling over gosip, I could make a phone call for you...

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

he he, well i am a big fan! I am helping setting up a show with them here in Copenhagen in August, so i geuess i can get all the gossip then....and phone across the sea is pretty exspensive as well.

Anyway other than you don't like GGD i think you have a amazing taste in music! This Heat and then Boredoms!

Looking forward to reading the next post.

cheers

4:56 PM  
Anonymous billy said...

i almost broke my jaw when it hit the floor looking at this post. well done and so generous of you!

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

new ggd is being mixed...

5:16 AM  
Blogger Lucky said...

m-azing! stuff! thanx!

i've been once to one of tatsuya yoshida's concert (3 players, 4 bands!) - and he fucked us all up, really! what a bastard of a drummer, astonishing. and the fun with akaten ruins solo (!) and an incarnation of acid mothers temple etc etc is beyond my english.
i will always love tatsuya - and now you for your wonderful blog!

4:41 PM  
Anonymous mark said...

Wow! Thanks for all the work - great blog!

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home